SSL certificates are a must for e-commerce websites. But they’re also necessary for other websites-including yours. Learn about their importance and put one on your website today! SSL certificates provide security and trust. They are an essential part of any website, but what are they? Why do you need one for your website?
What Is an SSL Certificate?
It is a piece of digital information and verifies the identity of your business or organisation online. It establishes trust between visitors to your site and their browsers. They also protect them from phishing scams, malware attacks, and other security risks.
Fake websites can steal sensitive information. Such as credit card numbers and other personal details. It’s easier because they are not detected. There’s no way for visitors to know if they’re on the right page—or even if it’s legitimate!
Clients will be confident in the legitimacy of your site because they know it is authentic and safe. They help you rank in Google.
How can I tell if a website has an SSL certificate?
- The URL starts with HTTPS instead of HTTP
- A closed padlock in your browser’s address bar
- Click on the padlock to get information about the site’s security details.
- In some browsers, you may also see warning signs when a connection isn’t secure.
How do SSL certificates help you rank in Google?
Let’s start with the basics. Google rankings base this on a variety of factors, including:
- Domain authority and Page Authority
- Trust flow and Citation flow
- They increase customer confidence
A certificate shows you care about the security and the privacy of your customers. They can help you rank higher in search engines. They also send a strong signal to Google that you care about security.
- If a website uses HTTPS (SSL), it will be more secure.
- Used for more than e-commerce sites.
- They are perfect for encrypting web traffic on a blog or portfolio site.
How can I get an SSL Certificate?
You first could contact a Certificate Authority (CA). They issue millions of SSL certificates each year. The process is a little long winded but we have good news!
Check with your web host. Some offer this as a free service. Cloudways SSD web hosting offer free certificates with all their hosting plans. They have you covered! Did I forget to mention all this is set up with a few clicks?
Do SSL Certificates guarantee security?
Unfortunately not. But they install more confidence for your visitors than a site without one. Phishing scams are growing in number, and they now occur on HTTPS sites. The padlock can deceive users to fall into the trap. Visitors click on these links and enter their sensitive information.
In fact, you may already be familiar with this method if you’ve ever seen the padlock icon in your browser’s address. A little padlock icon shows that your URL connection is using a certificate.
- Check the spelling of the domain name
- Do not enter personal details on a site unless you are sure of its authenticity
- Protest all your devices
- If the site looks suspicious – walk away!
We hope this guide has helped you understand what SSL certificates are. How they work and why they’re important for your business. Do you need more information about obtaining one? Please contact us today! We can help you get started with setting up. Why not check out our Legal Pages Review to set up all those necessary pages such as ‘terms and conditions’!